Instructor’s Name: Dr. Ilham H. F. Mansour
Office Location: Second Flour
Class Hours: Sunday 5:00-8:00PM
Class Location: D3
The main objective of this course is to provide students with the available analytical techniques for marketing planning and control and demonstrate how they can be applied to produce superior marketing performance. The course will enable students to develop the practical and integrative skills necessary for the preparation of business plans.
- To develop an understanding of the strategic market planning process.
- To develop skill in the application of strategic market planning to solve business problems.
- To improve skills and abilities in strategic thinking.
- To develop and enhance written and oral communication skills.
Upon the successful completion of this course, a student will be able to:
- Learn strategic marketing concepts,
- Analyze marketing cases,
- Use strategic marketing tools to analyze marketing opportunities and performance in the marketing simulation
- learn the components and construction of a strategic marketing plan
- Philip Kotler, Kevin Lane Keller, Marketing management, 14th E
- Derek F. Abell & Joun S. Hammond, Strategic Marketing Planning: Problems &Analytical Approaches, 6th E
- David A. Aaker, Strategic Market Management, 9th
- The internet: group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/stmkg/
- The student grade will be based on:
- Midterm Exam 20%
- Class case study 5%
- Assignments 5%
- Project/term paper 10%
- Final Exam: 60%
Course Culture and Pedagogy
- The course combines three essential methods of learning:
- Text and lecture to present the course content
- Case analysis for application of each module of course content
- The Marketing Plan project for integration of the course modules
- Marketing Strategy and Marketing Planning introduction
- Introduce Marketing Plan Project
- Introductions for Marketing Plan project team formation
- The analytical Prerequisites to planning: Customer, Competitors, Environmental trends, market, company
- Formal strategic Planning Methods: Portfolio Analysis, Market Attractiveness, PIMS “
- Mid semester exam
- Strategies Formulation: Product /Service Strategies
- Strategies Formulation: Pricing Strategies
- Strategies Formulation: Promotion Strategies
- Strategies Formulation: Place Strategies
- Marketing Strategy implementation & Control
- Project Presentations
- Course wrap-up
Marketing Plan Project
- Throughout the semester you will be part of a team conducting a marketing plan assignment. For this assignment your team is asked to
- analyze and evaluate a strategic company situation,
- identify promising business opportunities,
- develop new product ideas to seize these opportunities,
- evaluate these ideas based on secondary and primary data, and
- write a marketing plan for the proposed product.
- Marketing plans can be written at different levels of detail, for example at the level of the entire organization, the business unit, or the product/product line. You will write a marketing plan at the level of the product for an existing company. Each student will be assigned to a group whose first task is to agree upon a company for this assignment. You will come up with a new product , one that your company would produce. On march, 3, 2013, each group will have to hand in one product idea in order to get approval.. Be prepared to present your final product idea in class on march17, 2013. Each team will have 5 minutes in front of the class. Then, it’s time to write your marketing plan. Dead line of submission will be April ,21, 2013.
Your final marketing plan will include:
- Executive summary,
- Description of product idea,
- Strategic focus and plan → mission, business model,
- Situation analysis → e.g., company, market (i.e., segments), competition,
- Market-product focus → targeting, positioning,
- Marketing program → e.g. communication, pricing, etc.,
- Implementation plan → go-to-market plan, timeline,
- Evaluation and control → risks and implications for company, and
- supporting information (e.g., statistics, figures, visuals etc.).
The written marketing plan must not exceed 10 pages. Appendices not included. Please submit 1 soft copy to the group page https://www.facebook.com/groups/stmkg/ prior to class as well as 1 bound hardcopy on the deadline time.
The Executive Summary Report must include:
- Course number and course title,
- Company name, logo, and slogan,
- Industry (C),
- Team number (1,2,3,4, or 5),
- Team members names and their responsibilities,
- Date submitted, and
- Paginated Table of Contents.
- No late assignments will be accepted.